I pass a string as black list with these two characters: \ then t
and it seems that Tesseract interprets this as the tab character and
may return backslash in its OCR output (i.e. backslash is not
excluded)! Or if I pass \ then x, it treats it as "x" (but ignores the
backslash). I ended up passing \ twice, in other words the C code
looks like:

myTess->SetVariable("tessedit_char_blacklist", "\\\\abcd");

(which results in two consecutive backslashes in the string passed to
Tesseract)

This works (successfully excludes backslash from consideration). Any
ideas why Tess sees fit to expect escape sequences in the blacklist
string?