Can confirm the same issue on the following setup:

OS X 10.6.8
svn checkout of tesseract from just now
standard install (./configure; make) both with and without ./
runautoconf prior.

1. fix:
Please check

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1190939/ltlibraries-mv-tpo-plo-but-the-former-doesnt-exist-and-the-latter-already

for why this is happening. An "autoreconf -i" fixed the issue for me.
Since I only have read access to tesseract svn like the next guy, you
have to do this too with current builds.

2. (a detail)

The following ./configure output stands out a little:
/Users/anyuser/anypath/tesseract-ocr-read-only/config/missing: Unknown
`--run' option
Try `/Users/anyuser/anypath/tesseract-ocr-read-only/config/missing --
help' for more information
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing