I couldn't get either of these two to work and have given up:

Tesseract-OCR QT4 gui <https://github.com/zdenop/tesseract-ocr-qt4gui>:
Tesseract-OCR QT4 gui is a simple GUI for tesseract *Requirements:* Qt4
(It gave failure errors. Probably cuz I don't have Qt4 on my computer.
Could be too complicated for a simpleton. ha!)

PDF OCR X <http://solutions.weblite.ca/pdfocrx/>: PDF OCR is a simple
drag-and-drop utility for Mac OS X and Windows, that converts your PDFs and
images into text documents or searchable PDF files. *Requirements:* Mac OS
X 10.5/Windows with Java 1.6 or higher
(Text files were created, but they were empty. PDFs didn't unlock. Tried
all settings and nothing worked.)

I really can't figure out why this one doesn't work anymore, when in March,
it did work. Lamenting on why oh why they have no "help desk":

FreeOCR <http://www.paperfile.net/>: Free OCR is a document scanning
software including the Windows compiled Tesseract free ocr engine. It is
very simple to use and supports opening multi-page tiff documents, Adobe
PDF and fax documents as well as most image types including compressed
Tiff's. It can scan using Twain and WIA scanning drivers. *Requirements:*
Windows,
.NET

Guess I'll go crawl back into my hole now, and possibly pop up again in
another 9 months. . .