Another feature that sounds very promising are the bigrams. Is this a
feature that works on a word level? Does this include a probability
for the first word? I.e., is position 0 a valid context for a bigram?
So for example, if I wanted to recognize license plates and I know
that the first one or two characters always encode the city, the
bigram probability to go from position 0 to one of the cities should
be much higher than to go to any other character combination. And if I
know that after that there can only be digits, I could put the digit
sequences into the dictionary and have a high bigram probability for
that. Would that work?

Best regards,
Marcus