Andres,

Having training images is good but additionally having sample images
is even better. Provide those you get right from the device and their
corresponding binarized versions that you pass to Tess as well, in
order to get more meaningful response from the forum.

Confused 3/6/8/9 characters is a common problem even with limited
character sets. Sometimes there can be also 5's. Same can happen to
0/D/Q/O characters. For some fonts there can be 2/Z as well, etc.
Remedies can differ, sometimes mutually exclusive.

Tess doesn't fill gaps, it matches connected components' contours -
unknown's to prototype's. This procedure is designed with broken
characters in mind so it has also an approach to account for missing
contour parts. See in more detail in Tesseract's presentation from
OCSON. You'll need this to understand what config vars to tune.

For starters you can try turning on/off "tess_cn_matching" and
"tess_cn_matching" config vars. I never tried
"disable_character_fragments", seems it can also help. Report if so.
Experiment with "classify_adapt_proto_thresh" and
"classify_adapt_feature_thresh". There can be more to try - study the
code for matcher and pruner ("intmatcher.cpp").

Good luck. Don't forget about real samples. All correspondence -
please post into the forum.

Warm regards,
Dmitri Silaev
www.CustomOCR.com