Make Tess a part of your project (you can use only needed source
files), or compile it as a DLL and use the API. That way you can call
it as frequently as you like, without much overhead. Not sure about
the DLL way - is it viable now? I've implemented projects that use
Tess in real time, with no memory hogging (as an answer to other forum
thread), using select parts of it, though.

Warm regards,
Dmitri Silaev
www.CustomOCR.com