I'm having a similar problem. The .tif file can be found
here( https://www.dropbox.com/s/jivtydjj9gilkku/eng.ANSI_GDT.exp0.tif ) and
I hope anyone  can help. I'm trying to train tesseract to understand
geometric tolerance symbols. I created a .pdf using libreOffice and
converted it to .tif using ImageMagick. using the file i get the following
error:
TIFFstream: Sorry, can not handle image.
Error in pixReadFromTiffStream: failed to read tiffdata
Error in pixReadStreamTiff: pix not read
Error in pixReadStream: tiff: no pix returned
Error in pixRead: pix not read
Unsupported image type.
using a .jpg converted from .pdf using ImageMagick i get the following
error:
read_next_box:Error:Can't open file:Cant open box file *
Abort trap: 6

Hopefully that is enough information. I'm sure i'm not the only one having
this problem.

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:19:39 PM UTC-5, sventech wrote:

> probably you need to post the image or tell us lots of details about where
> you got it and the format. ImageMagick may help you. Converting to PNG
> format often helps -- it is less ambiguous than TIFF, which is really a
> container format that allows you to put all kinds of formats in it (LZW
> compressed, uncompressed, even JPEG).
> --Sven
>

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Firas almannaa
> <firas.a...@gmail.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I tried this command but i got this error
>> Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.02 with Leptonica
>> TIFFstream: Sorry, can not handle image.
>> Unsupported image type.
>>
>> can you help me with it
>>
>> On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 19:36:34 UTC+3, Stephane Holy wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying Tesseract training but I'm a bit lost on the process and
>>> documentation doesn't help me. So, I would like to know what is
>>> a box file and how to create one ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>>  --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/tesseract-ocr?hl=en
>>

> --
> ``All that is gold does not glitter,
>   not all those who wander are lost;
> the old that is strong does not wither,
>   deep roots are not reached by the frost.
> From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
>   a light from the shadows shall spring;
> renewed shall be blade that was broken,
>   the crownless again shall be king.”