If you want to deal with uneven lighting then you should rather look at
thresholding techniques. I had good success with an Android app using
Tesseract and OpenCV and using a configuration of Otsu thresholding. More
at http://docs.opencv.org/3.1.0/d7/d4d/tutorial_py_thresholding.html

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAORW5vgmcB8Xm61nmi8FeqDEwtmE07J_PZjgbav_27gs4sVp3A%40mail.gmail.com.