>  I used the tessdata_fast file for English - are these different from
tessdata-ocr-eng that comes with Ubuntu?

The ppa has traineddata files from tessdata_fast. Ubuntu 18.04 will have
the same.

Older versions of ubuntu (wihout ppa) will have traineddata files for
tesseract 3.0x.

You can try all three, tessdata_fast, tessdata_best and tessdata to see
which one works best in your case - spped/accuracy wise.

ShreeDevi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tesseract-ocr/CAG2NduWN%2B2gHvA3nEXBD%2BSmnErgjSiadYj270YO%2Bu6erpGhrsg%40mail.gmail.com.