Hi Shree,
I replaced the line:

 merge_unicharsets $(TESSDATA)/$(CONTINUE_FROM).lstm-unicharset
$(TRAIN)/my.unicharset  "$@"

with:

 cp "$(TRAIN)/my.unicharset" "data/unicharset"

(I write this in case someone else is following this thread).

And now I have a fine tuned brand new model with only the characters I
need. Nice :)

For the training I'm using actual crops from the documents I need to ocr,
painfully hand labeled.

About the number of iterations I'm trying to figure it out. I've seen that
there is an eval/train split, I've set it to 80/20.

I did 300/600/1000/5000/7500/10000 iteration and checked the model with:

lstmeval --model export/$1.traineddata --eval_listfile data/list.eval 2>&1
| grep iteration

and I see that the eval error keeps going down, with a big error drop from
1.17 to 0.5 passing from 7500 to 10000. My characters are very noisy and
irregular and my lines are very short, 1 to 4 words at most. Maybe this is
the reason why I need more iterations.

I'm fine tuning from italian, the language of my documents, I'll try eng
too to see if it works better. Now that the pipeline is in place it's easy
to try different options.

Thank you for your help so far.

Bye

Lorenzo