I'm using the latest version of Tesseract (5.0), and I'm trying to
determine whether or not I can insert some preprocessing steps that will
-not- affect the form of the final image.

For example, I might start out with an image such as this
<https://i.stack.imgur.com/XWJ7F.jpg>.

There are different levels of shadow/brightness, so I might use adaptive
Gaussian thresholding to avoid shadows during binarization
<https://i.stack.imgur.com/fzCQS.jpg>.

I will now run this through tesseract, with the hope of creating an OCR'd
PDF in the end. However, I want the image that the end user (and I) see to
be the full-color, original image, with the text from the transformed image
underlaid

Is there a way to manage this? Or am I completely missing the point here.