On Friday, January 5, 2024 at 9:30:05 AM UTC-5 sco...@gmail.com wrote:

Would you offer any suggestions as to next steps I could take from here?
E.g. it seems my options are:

   1. I can go back and train the legacy engine (e.g. *--oem 0*) on the
   fonts as well (I've been using this guide:

https://michaeljaylissner.com/posts/2012/02/11/adding-new-fonts-to-tesseract-3-ocr-engine/),

   and hope the results improve enough that I get pretty good results
   2. I can use some sort of post-processing step after tesseract to detect
   italics / bold / etc (although I'm not sure what tools/software/library I'd
   use here for, so I'd really need suggestions)
   3. I could wait and hope the roadmap for adding back WordFontAttributes
   to the non-legacy engine becomes a priority
   4. Something else perhaps?

I'm afraid I don't have any magic solutions (or even good suggestions). The
only thing I can offer is to perhaps not be so fixated on Tesseract as a
solution.

- would a different OCR package (including commercial) give you better
results?
- do you really *need* the italics?
- could you implement a crowdsourced annotation facility that let people
add the italics later?

Good luck!

Tom