Brian Pane wrote:

> Do you have any profile data that shows where the bottlenecks are?

No, sorry.  At the moment I'm focusing on mod_specweb99.

>  From recent tests with other workloads, I anticipate that the most
> expensive operations are likely to be: reading the HTTP headers,
> directory_walk and file_walk, and possibly mod_mime.

I cannot confirm or deny at the moment.  I do see stat()s for URIs that exist
only in <Location> containers, which can't help.

The IBM Linux kernel hackers I'm working with have seen long hold/spin times on
the "dcache_lock" in their kernel profiles, and asked about what files Apache
was opening.  I asked if some of this might be due to stat()s as well as open()s
but didn't get a response yet.  Anyway, I suggested they try mod_cache, which
should cut down on both open()s and stat()s.  I should try mod_cache myself, and
change to a setup where I can get meaningful profile data.

Greg