James G Smith wrote:
I've been moving several of my Perl modules from MakeMaker to
Module::Build.  I'm not seeing support for Module::Build in the
Apache::Test suite, so I thought I'd take a stab at subclassing
Module::Build to provide support for it.

You are talking about a similar kind of wrappers to ModPerl::MM (for 3rd party modules) and ModPerl::BuildMM (for mp2 itself), right? Looks like ModPerl::MB is the right place then, using the same mnemonics...

I couldn't access the searchable archives for this list (get sent
back to http://www.apache.org/), but I did look through this month's
archive and didn't see anything obvious along this line.

I don't remember any detailed discussions regarding MB. However a good archive is here: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev
linked from:
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/test-dev.html#Searchable_Archives

Several questions before I jump even more head-long into this.

(1) Is Apache::Build a sensible, everyday name?  Should it perhaps
reside instead under Module::Build or Apache::Test?  I have no
problem with this module being its own distribution on CPAN.  I also
have no problem contributing it to an existing project.

modperl-2.0/lib/ModPerl/MB.pm ?

(2) How DWIMmy should it be?  I like the following for my Build.PL
(as a goal):

 use Apache::Build;
 my $build = Apache::Build->new (
     module_name => 'Apache::Foo',
     license => 'perl',
     requires => {
         'perl'           => '5.6.1',
         'Some::Module'   => '1.23',
         'Other::Module'  => '>= 1.2, != 1.5, < 2.0',
     },
 );
 $build->create_build_script;

It should just work :)  This would also make any t/*.PL files into
t/* files.

I haven't used M::B yet, so I have no comments.

(3) Support for multiple versions of Apache/mod_perl.

You mean across 1.0 and 2.0? In that case it shouldn't live in the mp2 distro. Or it should have a dual life on CPAN, which is not quite supported by PAUSE yet.

I'd also like to see if it's possible to add support for building
mod_perl 1.x and mod_perl 2.x modules from the same distribution --
basically put Stas's code into this somewhere.

Which code you are referring to?