Flood developers, APR gurus, Cliff Wooley, Sander Striker, etc.:

Looks like I'm in the process of implementing the needed fix of
implementing multiple pool levels in Flood. The decision point is going to
be between allocating a new pool from the source pool every repeated
instance (i.e. each time a url-testing is attempted by a virtual user)
which is then destroyed before the next url is encountered, or creating
the subpool for requests/responses once from its parent and clearing the
pool after each url finishes. I want to know (1) if any memory is actually
released when the pool is cleared and (2) what you see as performance hits
for each method. I notice that Flood, on a "session" level (virtual user
or "farmer" executing one round of a list of urls in a profile), performs
the second option, clearing the subpool after each session. Also, if
memory is not actually released in that event, is the cleared subpool at
least going to properly reuse the memory it has already allocated? Once
the farmer_pool has been cleared, I assume that at that time any subpools
it had would need to be recreated (by an apr_pool_create()).

-Norman Tuttle [EMAIL PROTECTED] Developer, OpenDemand Systems

PS: After a call to apr_socket_connect(), is the allocated quantity
pointed-to by its 2nd (apr_sockaddr_t *) argument required to stay around
for the duration of the life of the socket, or is its value used
immediately and it can be deallocated? I will check myself but perhaps
someone knows offhand.