Geoffrey Young wrote:
ok, here's my latest problem...

given a 3rd party module installation

$ perl Makefile.PL -apxs /foo/bin/apxs

two issues arrive

1) $HOME/.apache-test is created when the tests are run, not when the module
is installed.  which means that even without any actual installs

This is the correct behavior. Does it cause a problem to you? 'make install' has nothing to do with custom configuration unless it's an A-T or mp2 module install.

2) -apxs is subsequently ignored for all but the very first time I run
t/TEST, making it impossible to test against multiple apache/mod_perl installs.

That should now work.

I know lots of work went into this already, but might it be worth the time
to back it all out and start with a spec first?  something that the few of
us that are interested can tweak until we thing we have all the bases covered?

I'm on it.