There was a message sent to this list on June 29, reporting that Apache::Test failed "make test" on an i386 OpenBSD 3.5 machine. I got the same result on a G4 running OpenBSD 3.5. The error log is:

[quote]
# cat t/logs/error_log
[Fri Sep 24 12:56:40 2004] [notice] Initializing etag from /var/perl/cpanplus/5.8.2/build/Apache-Test-1.13/t/logs/etag-state
[Fri Sep 24 12:56:40 2004] [crit] (1)Operation not permitted: could not chown /var/perl/cpanplus/5.8.2/build/Apache-Test-1.13/t/logs/etag-state
[unquote]

The version of Apache that is distributed with OpenBSD will chroot to the ServerRoot by default. To run httpd in "unsecure" mode, you need to pass it the "-u" command-line switch. I suspected that Apache::Test was failing because it didn't pass that switch on to Apache, so I tried creating a /usr/sbin/httpdu file, with the same ownership and permissions as /usr/sbin/httpd, that said this:

[quote]
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/httpd -u "$@"
[unquote]

When I unpack the tarball by hand, set APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/usr/sbin/httpdu, and run "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test", everything passes. This is true whether or not I am executing the commands as root.

But when I try installing the module through the CPANPLUS shell with the same environment variable setting, I get this:

[quote]
waiting 60 seconds for server to start: .
waiting 60 seconds for server to start: ok (waited 0 secs)
server localhost.ropine.com:8529 started

still waiting for server to warm up: .............................................................
the server is down, giving up after 61 secs
| To report problems please refer to the SUPPORT file |
[ error] failed to start server! (please examine t/logs/error_log)
*** Error code 1
[unquote]

...with nothing appended to t/logs/error_log that might indicate the source of this problem.

I'm not sure whether or not the modules that depend on Apache::Test for their own testing will still be able to run with this workaround. Even if they can, I would appreciate a patch that will allow Apache::Test to insert the "-u" option when it starts up the server, so I don't have to rely on this weirdness. (Or is there some easier solution to the problem that I missed?)

adTHANKSvance,
--
"Remember that "freedom" is not just a word. It is a squishy,
 concept-lite word which invokes positive feelings." --Fafblog