> If I had to guess, this borks anything but gmake.  Test for that.

I had asked on #asf about this and somebody (I forget who) said that the
make manpage on minortaur (some bsd variant) supports ?= as well.  from
looking at that it seems to be the manpage for pmake, which I guess is some
other make variant. so limiting it to gmake at least would seem to wipe out
bsd folks.

a little digging on my own at the time made it seem like solaris make is
really gmake, so between linux, solaris, and bsd a decent case was being
made that most unix make variants to support the syntax.  of course, that
list of 3 was hardly exhaustive :)

anyway, this just isn't my area, so I'm happy to defer to others that grok
all this SA-type stuff.  but if most unix-variants support ?=, or if there
is another more universal way to work around the issue, I would hate to see
the correct behavior only for unix people using gmake.

--Geoff