On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 14:25 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2012, at 9:16 AM, valent.turko...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I did Fedora 16 Respin iso install with all latest packages, including
> > latest Anaconda package, and still had this issue.
> >
> > There were two ntfs partitions (Windows 7 + data partition) and 30 GB
> > of free space.
> >
> > From 30GB free space I created
> > /root # 200 MB, ext4
> > /swap # 2.5 GB, swap
> > /     # 8.0 GB, ext4
> > /home # 19 GB, btrfs
> >
> > grub2 install fails miserably :(
> >
> > Are there any updates regarding this bug?
>
> I think the problem is GRUB2's own install script/app, doesn't do a great job
> of accounting for disks partitioned where the 1st partition comes less than
> 35KB after the MBR, and as the core.img is too large it fails to install
> between the MBR and partition 1.
>
> Strangely though, anaconda manages to get it to install without a complaint.

No, that's clearly not the problem here, because this thread is about
installing grub to the front of a partition - *not* to the MBR.

I'm not sure why it's failing for Valent when it does usually manage to
do this successfully, but it's definitely not the issue with the
post-MBR 'embedding area' being too small. That's an entirely separate
issue.

anaconda only calls grub2-install, with appropriate parameters, to
install grub. It doesn't do anything particularly special or clever.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey