On Sat, 2013-06-15 at 16:03 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 12:51:09 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > You're drawing an erroneous conclusion from a sample of two displays. It
> > is not always the case that larger displays have a higher native DPI
> > than smaller displays.
>
> So we just need to all chip in and buy the anaconda developers
> one of these, and suddenly font sizes and readability would become a high
> priority :-).
>
> http://www.sharp-world.com/products/professional-monitors/products/pn-k321/index.html

Oh, you can get a high DPI display much cheaper: just buy a MBP Retina
or a Pixel (or a Kirabook, now).

But they kinda prove the point that (as you say) dpi-fundamentalism is
misguided. My laptop is 1920x1080 at 13", which is about 170dpi, but if
I set it to 170 dpi the fonts look *huge*. If I set it to 170dpi and put
the laptop 1.5 feet away from my eyes, where my desktop displays are, it
looks fine...and then I can't type on it any more. In practice, I set my
laptop's dpi to about 130 to get it to 'look right'.

I rather suspect the world is going to go with the dumb-but-practical
Apple solution: have a few DPI Buckets and just support those. So maybe
you'll be able to use 96, 144 or 192 and things will be made to 'look
right'...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey