On 09/30/2014 03:38 AM, Napoleon Quashie wrote:
I have been using Fedora 21 since the alpha release and overall it has worked wonderfully (it has never one crashed and I use it every day), even to the extent of noticing a reduction in the memory consumed and processor usage when I have all my usual application up and running. One thing though is, I find my screen is kind of jerky when I scroll and this has never happened with other Fedora releases.

I therefore tried to install nvidia. I have always followed the steps from http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2014/fedora-20-nvidia-guide/. It basically boils down to:

Install RPMFusion
*yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs kernel-devel acpid*
yum install  kernel-PAE-devel
mv  /boot/initramfs-$(uname  -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname  -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname  -r).img $(uname  -r)
*reboot*
However, after reboot, I get the rather interesting message:

    Oh no something has gone wrong

    A problem has occured and the system can't recover.

    Please logout and try again.

I've never had any issues installing nvidia in the past on any Fedora release. Hoping for some solutions on how to fix this. Thanks in the meantime.

Installing the Nvidia driver has always been a bit tricky at best.
This is complicated by the recent tendency to boot the wrong kernel.

I run a 64 bit system so my current routine is:
    (install rpmfusion)
    yum install xorg-x11-dev-nvidia
     edit /boot/g*2/*cfg - replace "rhgb quiet" with "nomodeset"
    reboot, taking care to boot the correct entry.

So far this works for me.  If the kernel is updated, I usually have
to remove xorg-x11-drv-nvidia, reboot, and install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
all over.

The Nvidia driver is so much nicer than Nouveau it's worth the fuss
to get it installed.

--
     Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   c...@omen.com   www.omen.com