On Tue, 2014-10-21 at 11:31 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> Well, at least kickstart works.  Also live-lxde works.
>
> However, "Generic" ... has the Fedora Project been renamed the "Generic
> Project"???  I am having a WTF moment!
>
> Both the kickstart install (using the workstation netinstall) and the
> liveinst with the live-lxde iso result in /etc/system-release being
> "Generic release 21 (Generic)".  Now I realize that we are into this
> producty thingy, but this is silly.  This is still the Fedora
> distribution.  You could have Fedora Workstation, Fedora LXDE, Fedora
> XFCE, Fedora Server, Fedora Cloud, etc. but naming it "Generic" if it is
> not a product is (I am going to be kind) silly. Furthermore, you are
> creating confusion about the Fedora Brand.
>
> I hope this is a bug because it should be!

The 'generic-release' package exists for the benefit of Remixes. It
basically contains non-Fedora branding so that the rest of the Fedora
Project can be used by the Remix without the result identifying itself
as Fedora.

This is getting pulled in right now due to a bug in the dependency
solver (it's complicated to explain, but basically the dependency
resolution is deciding to install generic-release instead of
fedora-release, and that's wrong).

We're working on it.