On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 16:16 +0100, Antonio Trande wrote:
> On 11/07/2014 04:04 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 19:39 +0100, Antonio Trande wrote:
> >> Hi all.
> >>
> >> By installing Fedora 21 live Workstation, I noted that all
> >> unallocated space on hardisk is not detected so it's not
> >> available for a standard partitioning. I had to format in ext4
> >> the unallocated space of which I needed in order to make it
> >> visible by Anaconda.
> >>
> >> Fedora 21 Common Bugs talks of a NTFS resizing bug, not of space
> >> management troubles.
> >
> > Hrm. I didn't run into this. Anaconda saw the free space just fine.
> > Is the configuration special in anyway?
> >

> Well, yes, it is.
>
> Hardisk is divided in:
>
> Model: ATA WDC WD5000BEVT-2 (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
> Disk Flags:
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
>  2      58.0GB  68.8GB  10.7GB  primary   linux-swap(v1)
>  3      69.7GB  207GB   138GB   primary   ntfs            boot
>  4      207GB   500GB   293GB   extended
>  5      207GB   208GB   524MB   logical   ext4
>  6      208GB   354GB   146GB   logical   ext4
>  7      354GB   500GB   146GB   logical   ext4
>
> Unallocated space was contained in an extended partition; Anaconda
> detected only free space on the outside of it.

AIUI that's by design. Partitioned space is not 'free' by anaconda's
definition, and anaconda will not just assume you don't care about the
partition and reallocate it. 'Free space' only refers to *unallocated*
space.

Custom partitioning ought to show the partition and let you choose to
format it and assign it a mount point, of course.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey