On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 10:45 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 02:11:10PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >

> > When I think about 'composes' I tend to just think about a sort of
> > isolated thing with a bunch of images in it, but of course that's
> > not
> > (all) a "snapshot compose" is. The snapshot composes are what will
> > ultimately be staged out to the public mirrors as the 'official'
> > tree
> > for the release. We cannot put the "compose override" packages into
> > the
> > repositories in those trees, because to do so would be effectively
> > push them out as stable updates.
>
> Maybe I'm Dumb (™), but I'm not following the problem with the
> "because". *Shouldn't* the override packages be the equivalent of
> stable updates?
No.

Overrides are just the new name for what we've been doing so far with
the /bleed repo; it's the problem where we can't wait for an update to
go through the whole review and stable push process before we include
it in a TC/RC, so we shove it in a side repo and include that side repo
in the compose.

In some cases we're already pretty sure the package is good and we just
want to short-circuit the inherent delays in the Bodhi process; if we
had a magic button which instantly made the package show up in the
'stable' repo that'd be fine. So for those cases, sure, it wouldn't be
a problem if the overrides got pulled into the 'stable' repo as part of
the compose.

In other cases, though, we need to try out a potential fix for an issue
in a compose, but it might not be good. We might spin up the compose
and find it broke everything. We definitely *don't* want to be short-
circuiting Bodhi for those cases. So long as the 'overridden' package
only shows up in the images, we can fairly safely drop it again if it
turns out to be bad. If the 'overridden' package also went out to the
repos, people following Branched would get it as a regular update, and
we then can't just silently pull it because it leaves them out on a
limb (we have always resisted doing this very hard in the past; it very
occasionally happens, but we always hate doing it, we certainly don't
want to make it a part of common practice).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey