On Wed, 2016-03-30 at 11:16 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> […]
> NetworkManager should bring up the wired ethernet as soon as the
> port
> detects a connection.

Definitely not on this T500. Plug the RJ45 in, green lights appear, no
activity of any sort trying to make a DHCP call. Cannot see any
activity relating to the Ethernet in the journalctl -r listing.

[…]
> Anything in the logs?

Nothing in the journalctl -r listing as far as I can see when the RJ45
is removed or inserted.

[…]
> ifup should work with NetworkManager.  Have you tried running ifup
> with
> NetworkManager running?

The ifup command offloads to nmcli if the NetworkManager service is
running and it bombs out:

Error: Connection activation failed: No suitable device found for this
connection.

Terminate the NetworkManager service and the same ifup command offloads
to something else, gets the DHCP going and it works fine.

> It should just work.

Sadly on this T500, it doesn't :-(

--
Russel.