On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:55 AM Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:

> We currently have the following Beta criterion:
> "The release-blocking images must meet current size requirements." [1]
>
> The latest "Workstation image is oversized" bug [2] showed that we don't
> consider this requirement to be that critical. People mostly agreed that
> having a slightly oversized image at Beta is no big deal. And there's much
> truth to it. The limits were critical when we used optical media, but with
> flash drives, there is always an option to use a larger one.
>
> Considering this, I believe it makes sense to move the current criterion from
> Beta to Final.
>
> There are other options to handle this, like giving the image size e.g. 10%
> headroom during Beta. We can do this, but the more I think about it, the less
> value I see in it. If the image was 11% over size, would it really matter? I
> think we actually don't care image image size restrictions before Final
> release at all. For Final release, sure, some groups want to fit X GB flash
> drives, and some groups want to fit onto a DVD disc. But for Beta we can
> always test it just fine, regardless the size (and no images are release
> blocking for optical media for Beta).
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe the oversize tolerance for beta is 50%? I think it may at this
point be more about significantly impacting download speed than media
availability. At least in the U.S., bandwidth is highly variable [1]
with a large number of people having less than 10Mbps download rates.
I'm sure there's an oversize percent between 10% and 200% where most
of us would generally agree, umm yeah we should block beta and make
the image smaller.

I'd say if the check can be automated, tag it for 50% oversize. If it
can't be automated, then...why can't it be automated? :D

[1]
https://www.telecompetitor.com/latest-national-broadband-data-from-fcc-finds-median-u-s-internet-speed-of-60-mbps/

--
Chris Murphy