On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 22:39:31 -0400
David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One question I do have for the Xfce fans, is that if you install any
> Gnome packages, you end up with quite a few Gnome dependencies, in the
> on your system.    So is there any point to using Xfce, if you plan to
> install some
> Gnome apps ?     And is any of that Gnome stuff, considered cruft, to
> a die-hard Xfce fan ?
> Cause I can't live without my Gnome games, although I have most if
> not all as flatpaks.

If there is room on the disk, why not install all the desktops?  That
way you have access to all the applications that they run, if you want
them. And you can try them out, or use them for trouble shooting.  For
me, running a particular desktop isn't about access to applications, but
about feeling comfortable with the concept of the desktop.  Does it
suit the way I work?  Is it intuitive for me to use? Part of that is
habit, what am I used to, but I think some of it is just the way that
my brain processes things by default.  i.e.  different strokes for
different folks

The downside of installing a lot of packages is that updates are more
frequent, and take longer because they are larger.  And there is a
greater chance of package conflicts.

Just another point of view for you to consider.