On 3/16/20 14:36, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:53 AM Kamil Paral <kpa...@redhat.com> wrote:

So our performance in these cases is likely to be severely affected. This might prevent
any "test this RC in 24 hours" efforts

What do you think about pushing back the whole schedule one week? Or two weeks?

Final freeze becomes, Tue 2020-04-14
Preferred release becomes, Tue 2020-04-28

Additionally, seriously consider "RC required by" the Monday before
Go/No-Go. Or even the Friday before? And if not, automatically add a
week.

* Testcase_dualboot_with_macOS -- Our old Mac Mini stayed in the office, so we
can't evaluate this one. OTOH, our tests decrease in value every cycle, because
our Mac is archaic and doesn't even contain the latest OS version, so it
differs very much from what is commonly available on the market these days.

Yes and the now three year old write up I did to restore a mac to near
"out of box" condition without having to do a clean install, is
obsolete. Apple uses a completely different file system and layout
than back then.

Reasonable versions for testing:
High Sierra macOS 10.13.x (September 2017)
Mojave OS X 10.14.x (September 2018)
Catalina OS X 10.15.x (October 2019)

All three of these use APFS by default. There's a decent cutoff of
hardware starting with Mojave, which is why I include High Sierra.
https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

* Testcase_audio_basic, Testcase_desktop_menus, Testcase_desktop_automount --
These might be harder to check with the exact RC due to limited access to bare
metal (unless we want to reinstall our own laptops each time). This mostly
affects certain applications that often behave differently on bare metal than
in a VM, like video players, or testing hw-only stuff like USB, webcam,
suspend, etc. But since we all run F32 now (I think), our own laptops provide
us with a decent level of certainty that that stuff works (even when we're not
in that exact software configuration).

* Testcase_Printing_New_Printer (real printer) - Only few people have a real
printer at home, I think. I don't.

I do but it's not an IPP Everywhere printer. We might need an
exception whereby we ask for extra print testing with whatever people
have, just to make sure it's not completely broken.

I always do testing on bare metal (Intel i5-4570) and I have a real printer that is sort of IPP Everywhere. Brother calls the driver "no driver".

I am currently testing drop 0316. I can report on all drops I test even if there isn't a test event. I can't promise to test every drop, but if there are specific drops we need to test I will be certain to make them a priority.

My best wishes to everyone to avoid the misery and for success in the release.

        Pat