From: Adam Williamson
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 8:12 AM
To: For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases
Subject: Re: A little introduction, and a problem I'm having

On Wed, 2021-03-17 at 20:33 +0100, dileepa.tissera dileepa.tissera

wrote:

> Hello everyone,

> My name’s Francisco, and I’m a blind highschool kid who started using

> Fedora almost a month ago, I’m generally new to Linux.

> Just today, a few hours ago, I  updated to rawhide, just so see how

> development was going, and I’m concerned and a bit disappointed to

> find out that audio doesn’t work almost at all.

> When in the login screen with GDM 3, orca, the screen reader, speaks,

> and directs me to log in without a problem, like it did in F33.

> Afterwards though, when I press enter after typing my password in,

> nothing happens, Orca doesn’t start, and every test that I could do,

> well, without seeing the screen is hard, didn’t work.

> Does anyone else encounter this with F rawhide?

> Might it be the switch from Pulseaudio to Pipewire that is causing

> this?

> Has anyone found a solution?

> Before switching back, I’d just like to see if I can fix it, because

> I’d really like to stick with rawhide.

> Since this is rawhide related, it’s related to F34 as well, so,

> hopefully, me writing this email will do some good, and insure

> accessibility.

> Thanks for any answer.

> Best regards.

> Francisco.

Hi Francisco, and sorry for the trouble! I believe you're not alone, I

recall reading several notes about issues with Orca in F34 and Rawhide.

Someone wrote to this list about it with topic "Fedora 34 and rawhide

accessibility" last Monday. It may well be to do with pipewire indeed.

I'm going to try and look into this after the Beta go/no-go meeting

tomorrow, but it would definitely be a good idea to file a bug against

either orca or pipewire for now. Sorry again, and thanks.

--

Adam Williamson

Fedora QA

IRC: adamw | Twitter: adamw_ha