I tried using /boot on btrfs a couple of times some days ago, and it kept
failing each time until I used ext4.

This is bad UX. If I need to "fiddle with enough" on a problem that wasn't
supposed to be a problem, it should be addressed.

By default, when using the automatic install process, /boot uses ext4 when it
should be using btrfs instead, and when using the custom partitioning tool, it
should allow me to use btrfs without it being a reason to failure.