On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 08:31:50 -0800
Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2022-01-22 at 15:20 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_35_Final_Release_Criteria#Bootloader_disk_selection
> >
> > "The installer must allow the user to choose which disk the system
> > bootloader will be installed to, and to choose not to install one at
> > all. "
> >
> > The "choose not to install one at all" doesn't really apply to
> > UEFI. I wonder if we can just drop the whole criterion? (I'm still
> > hopeful that one day the entirety of bootloader UI in the installer
> > goes away.)
>
> We (re-)added the capability and the criterion because it was heavily
> requested. anaconda 'new UI' didn't let you do this for a while, and a
> lot of people complained. It is intended for people who maintain their
> own custom multi-OS bootloader config and do not want the OS to mess
> with it.
>
> I'm not sure if what it does for UEFI installs is intentional or has
> really been thought about, so there could be scope for changing that,
> and clarifying the release criteria expectations about it. But both
> the behaviour and the desire for it were fairly clearly established
> for BIOS installs.

I see uses for the following:

0. Install Fedora and the boot loader to a fresh system for single
boot.  Format the disk and create the EFI partition.

1. Install Fedora and the boot loader on an already installed system
for multi boot.  Reuse the existing EFI partition.

2. Install Fedora on an already installed system for multi boot.  Don’t
mess with the exitng boot loader; it is managed some other way.

3. Install Fedora and the boot loader to a second disk without
changing the first disk.  Create an EFI partition on the second disk.
I use this to make a portable installation on a USB disk.  It can
also be use for a multi boot setup.

Jim