On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 5:33 PM Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> FESCo has a "make this a blocker" button... I kind of feel an itch for a
> generalized "sometimes stuff comes up" lever that goes the _other_
> direction, rather than a very specific carve-out.

Like Adam, I fear we'd be too tempted to use it as a "YOLO, ship it!"
button. It wouldn't happen right away, but slowly, we'd become more
comfortable with waiving more things. I think there are more likely to
be cases where we'd want to block on things (e.g. "wow, this bug will
be really embarrassing when reviewers find it, but it doesn't actually
violate any criteria") arbitrarily than cases where we'd wave. In the
"this should be a blocker, actually" case, we can lean on FESCo to use
their blocker power to apply it, so I don't think Council needs an
explicit authority there. We already have exceptions to allow some
blockers to be waived, and I think most of the ones we'd want to waive
could be handled under those.

Also, as a group we're pretty good at word lawyering when we set our
minds to it, so we can find ways to say "this bug does not violate a
very specific interpretation of the criteria" if it comes down to it.
:-)

> We wouldn't be here if I (well, the Council, but I'll go ahead and say
> specifically _me_) had made sure we'd done the proper followup around Cloud
> "de-editioning" several years ago, and I don't think there's likely to be a
> case where this new policy is actually ever used again — if there is, that'd
> signal another failure.

At the risk of being too pedantic, I want to point out that this is
not a new policy. The only reason we're having this discussion is
because I was going to just make it happen but I asked Adam about his
preferences on the mechanics of it. I argued (correctly, of course)
that the Council always had this authority implicitly because it
decides what is and is not an Edition. And I think that's why we saw
no pushback on the list, in the QA meeting, or in the Blocker Review
meeting. Everyone understands that this makes sense. But for the
purposes of release criteria, it's better to be explicit than
implicit.

We're not adding a new feature here. We're fixing a bug so that we get
the expected behavior in an exceptional case.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His