> Works on MacOS 10.3.7

Thanks.

> There are no more detailed instructions for generating fonts in
> batch job

Hm... I have put it back, thanks.

> and things like texconfig font ro (still there?) in
> tetex-src/INSTALL. Is this intended?

That (currently) does not exist in texconfig. I might still put it back.
Currently, there is a default of /var/tmp/texfonts which should always
be writable by everyone (even if it does not exist, /var/tmp should be
writable by everyone), so the current (default) situation is as follows:

  if ($TEXMFVAR/fonts is writable)
    use $TEXMFVAR/fonts
  else
    if ($VARTEXFONTS is writable or can be created)
      use $VARTEXFONTS
    else
      use the current directory

By setting the varfonts feature (only "by hand" at the moment) in
mktex.cnf, $TEXMFVAR/fonts is no longer considered, so only $VARTEXFONTS
is checked/used.

I don't know is setting/unsetting these MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf is still
needed. Comments?

The same is true for "texconfig font ro/rw". I think that of
all trees, it would only make sense to change the permissions of
$TEXMFVAR/fonts/{source,pk,tfm}. By default, only the owner of these
directories might write there, all other fonts go to $VARTEXFONTS.
That should work for all/most people, that is why I have removed the
relevant options from texconfig. What do other people think about this?

> At the moment I just set up a vardir for fonts with general write
> permissions after editing tetex-src/texk/kpathsea/texmf.in
> accordingly and it seems to work.

Right, that's how it is supposed to work. If you don't change anything,
/var/tmp/texfonts would be created (world writable) on the first use
(i.e. the first file which cannot be installed in $TEXMFVAR/fonts.

Thomas