> my manpage (IRIX-6.5.24) says, you have to include <libgen.h>
You are correct... But you also need to link with -lgen...

Therefore, to use it - you would need a test in texk/web2c/configure -
and then link in pdftexdir with it as well as ttf2afm in texk/web2c
directory....

So - either use xbasename - or redo configure and two Makefile.in a bit...

Either would work for me... But note that ttf2afm.c is already using xstrdup
right over there as well instead of testing for it in the system libraries -
so the precedence would be to use xbasename....

Ezra