On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Thomas Esser wrote:

> > I have tried to understand how texconfig works if a user invokes it. As
> > far as I can see, for every configuration file they touch, a copy is
> > generated in TEXMFCONFIG (which is $HOME/.texmf-config by default).
>
> Right.
>
> > This seems to have the (probably unwanted effect) that the user is thus
> > cut-off from site-wide changes.
>
> The same is true if some user puts a custom copy of koma-script into
> his $TEXMFHOME.
>
> > If a user changes a configuration file $cfile for the first time, the
> > changed file after "check_out" is not only copied or cat'ed to
> > $TEXMFCONFIG/$relDir/$cfile, but additionally a diff or the change regex
>
> Well, this sounds like a complicated solution (different config files
> would need different kind of updates) with a questionable effect.

What would help is some tools to check for duplicates across all the
texmf trees so at least you can more easily determine when things in
$TEXMFHOME or $TEXMFLOCAL have become older than versions in updated
system trees.

--
George White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia  B3Z 2G6