> What is the problem with CVS? Are you saying that CVS cannot handle
> symbolic links at all? I find that hard to believe.

It can't handle symbolic links at all.  Why is that hard to believe?

(CVS also doesn't have a good way of preserving time stamps on an
import/checkout operation without damaging the ability to correctly do
checkouts by date.  That breaks tetex in other ways, because it often
tries to rebuild files it ships with--it runs automake to rebuild
Makefile.in files in texinfo, for instance, and fails.  And it tries
to rebuild tangleboot and fails because tangle hasn't been built yet.
But we've seen that kind of lossage in lots of packages, and it's not
too hard to just erase the relevant parts of Makefile.in which say how
to rebuild shipped files.)