> -- After configuring, there is no libs/xpdf/xpdf/c-auto.h. I went to
> libs/xpdf and configured again (by hand) and xpdf/c-auto.h was created.
> This did not happen in the first run (I did a make clean in the root dir
> and then did another make) which makes me suspect that 'make clean'
> somehow removed libs/xpfd/xpdf/c-auto.h (and indeed, it is in the
> teTeX-src tar.gz). This is an error in xpdf as afaik a make clean should
> not remove the products of configure.

Right, output from configure should not be removed by "make clean".
c-auto.h should be removed in the "distclean maintainer-clean extraclean"
targets and not for "mostlyclean clean".

> -- libs/libtiff/libtiff.a still does not get a ranlib when it is
> created. I tried comparing libtiff with libpng but I did not see why
> this goes wrong for libtiff while it succeeds for libpng (I'm no expert
> in all this auto* stuff). Anyway, you can clearly see it in the Makefile
> of libtiff, which has no valid expansion for RANLIB after configure has
> run.

Are you sure? texk/make/library.mk has the line RANLIB = @RANLIB@ for
Makefile.in and the target for libtiff.a has an invocation for $(RANLIB)
(screen output of command invocation is suppressed, however).

Does libs/libtiff/Makefile (as generated by configure) have a line
  RANLIB = ranlib
?

> -- After installation, /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> contains
>
> < TEXMFCNF =

The TEXMFCNF line in texmf.cnf is completely irrelevant. The search path
for texmf.cnf is compiled into your binaries.
  kpsewhich -show-path=cnf
tells you the path.

> -- mktex.cnf sets BDPI but not DPI

That should not be a problem. But, maybe
  : ${DPI=600}
should be changed in mktex.opt to
  : ${DPI=$BDPI}

> -- /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/context/config/texexec should be named
> texexec.ini

Yes, thanks.

Thomas