Dvips has *always* searched in the current directory first for virtually
all files, config files, tfm files, vf files, figure files, header files,
etc.  So all the blame on that goes to me.  This was intended as a
feature; users sometimes want to override something, much like TeX
searches for input files starting in the current directory and then
moving on to the system directories and so on.

>From a security standpoint, this is clearly bad, as you say.  But I'm
not sure disabling search for config files in . is, at this point,
a great solution.  I'm sure many people use this extensively, and
we will totally break them if we make this change.  For instance, what
about .dvipsrc, which is *intended* as a place for the user to specify
default config options for dvips, and it is searched for in $HOME,
which is often the current working directory of people running dvips
as well?

Man, what a mess.