On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:

I've never done bibtex or natbib with tetex/LaTeX before, so this may be naive, but...

I run Fedora Core 3 with tetex-2.0.2. It has natbib included, and I'm using the program LyX to write documents. In the natbib.sty file, it says there are bibliography styles, such as chicago, but in tetex I find no chicago.bst file, and don't understand how natbib is supposed to do its business.

You should think of the tetex version supplied with a linux distro more as a tool for developers who need to rebuild docs after tweaking existing packages. It is the version used to generate the documentation, and will get trashed if you switch to another distro. It is generally not suitable for authors who need current versions of LaTeX and associated macros/tools.

1. Where do I get the bst files, if in fact I do need them, and

The canonical source is: CTAN: tex-archive/bibliography/bibtex/contrib/

These days I use CTAN mainly to check for bug-fix updates to
a macro package that is causing problems -- it is generally
easier to pick a high-quality distro and stick with that until
texmf-local starts filling up with updated versions of buggy
packages.

2. Can you point me at directions for installing this?

TeX Live is a comprehensive free distro based on teTeX for unix. The linux binaries are statically linked and should run on FC3 (they do work with FC2). The 2004 version was just released. If you belong to a TeX User Group you should have TL2003, and TL2004 should arrive soon, or you can download .iso images from CTAN.

On Fedora I just mount the image with the loop device to avoid actually burning a CD. Installation is done with a shell script and takes a few minutes. TeTeX is very self-contained -- you can have as many versions installed as you want and switch between them by editing the PATH (I recommend the environment modules package), although the new /etc/man.conf mechanism does mean you would have to edit that file if you want to have the man pages in sync with the distro you are using.

If you use pdftex you may want to compile a newer version, but it is considerably advanced over the version in tetex 2.02. TL2004 has:

$ kpsewhich chicago.bst
/mnt/hda7/opt/tex/TL2004/texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/beebe/chicago.bst

--
George N. White III  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>