Dear Volker,

> The generation of ls-R files was recently changed to be run as nobody,
> instead of the user invoking mktexlsr (see diff at end). This creates a

I was contacted by SuSE about a security problem and the fix that you
describe was suggested. I have forwarded that to Olaf Weber, but we
have not yet decided about this issue. By the time, SuSE has distributed
this patch.

> Obviously I can edit the script, but is there a recommended way to deal
> with this?

You could easily avoid problems by changing the read permissions of the
font files (make them readable for some group), but leave the directories
world-executable and world-readable. That way, nobody will be able to
list the fonts into the ls-R file, but unothorized people won't be able
to use the fonts.

The patch suggested by SuSE is not portable enough to be adopted by web2c,
I think. Maybe, we should make the use of the "L" option in mktexlsr an
option and the default of this option "off".

> [1] dvips in this case says it includes the pfb files, but in fact
> doesn't, and doesn't show a warning either. This is probably the same

Yes, that's the problem discussed on the TeX-k list and Tomas R. wrote
that he'll work on a fix for it.

Thomas