Dear David,

> I have recently installed teTeX 3.0 on Solaris 8.
>
> I want to set up a world-writeable fonts directory as suggested in
> TETEXDOC. I followed the instructions in section 2.7, but things do not
> seem to quite match what is written.
>
> TETEXDOC seems to imply that mktex.cnf is to be found in
> ..share/texmf/web2c (section 2.6) but I only have mktex.cnf in
> ..share/texmf-dist/web2c.

I don't see anything wrong in teTeX and I don't know what your problem
is. The instructions in TETEXDOC are neutral regarding the actual texmf
tree. None is mentioned and only web2c/mktex.cnf is specified.

> I ran:
> texconfig font vardir ..share/texfonts
> - that is fine

Ok. texconfig should have updated the VARTEXFONTS variable in the
texmf.cnf file.

> But then when I run:
> texconfig-sys font rw
> I do not get mktex.cnf updated. I also seem to get the empty directory
> share/texmf-config created.

texconfig works in the following way if some option gets set in some
config file:
  - locate the current version of the file (e.g. search using the usual
    rules, i.e. in all texmf trees) and copy it into some temp. area
  - make sure, the destination for a possible modified version of the file
    is writable; this step involves the creation of the $TEXMFCONFIG /
    $TEXMFSYSCONFIG directory if itdoes not exist
  - in some other temp. area, modify the config file
  - if the two files in the temp areas differ, install the new version
    of the config files into $TEXMFCONFIG / $TEXMFSYSCONFIG.

In your case, it is likely that your web2c/mktex.cnf file already has
the features
  : ${MT_FEATURES=appendonlydir:varfonts}
so that no modification was necessary and no new config files was
installed. The idea in teTeX-3.0's new texconfig is to store new versions
of config files only if this is necessary.

> Am I doing something wrong?

I dont know. Have you checked if it works, e.g. by running
  mktextfm ecrm1321.tfm

Thomas