Hello teTeXnicians,

For years I have been using the commercial Lucida Bright fonts from Y&Y,
by putting the .pfb files in a separate tree /opt/share/texmf/fonts/.

My current system is tetex 3.0-4 which comes with Linux Fedore Core 4.

[I have the fonts in /opt/share/texmf/fonts/ and some additional
in /opt/share/texmf/latex/, etc.  Actually, I put software which does not
come by rpm packages in common repositories as much as possible in /opt.
This is handy to keep my own additions separate during upgrades.]

In /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, I then change TEXMFLOCAL to

TEXMFLOCAL = /opt/share/texmf

After running mktexlsr, and with

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc,lucidbry}

in the preamble of my latex documents, everything (xdvi, dvips,
pdflatex) worked like a charm.

However, after upgrading from Linux Fedore Core 3 to 4 (and tetex from
2.0.2-21.3 to 3.0-4) mktexpk can't find the fonts any more: xdvi spawns
error messages like

[...]
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+70/600 --dpi 670
hlhbc8y
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhbc8y.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
xdvi: Error: Can't find font hlhbc8y; using cmr10 instead. Expect ugly
output.
[...]

BTW, dvips and pdflatex are suffering from the same problem.

When I move the whole /opt/share/texmf/ tree to /usr/local/share/ and
undo the changes to texmf.cnf, nothing changes, so apparently that was
not the problem.  Additionally, other packages in the same
/opt/share/texmf/ tree are working fine.

What am I doing wrong here, and what is the recommended way/place to
include additional packages and fonts, if you wish to keep them separate
from the standard distribution tree?

Thanks in advance,

Sido.

DISCLAIMER:  http://www.rivm.nl/disclaimer.htm