Bonjour!

I took me hours to track this down but I finally can reproduce what I
think to be a bug in kpsewhich.

After upgrading from teTeX 2.x to 3.x my *.tex-compiles got really
slow, 3-5 minutes even for "latex sample2e". Strangely enough though
the problem did only occur with my account, not with root's. So I
created another "simple" user called test. Test was able to compile as
fast as root. Therefore I assumed that some environment variables were
not set for my account. That was the point:

My $HOME env var was set to "/home/thomas/". Running "kpsewhich
-show-path=tex" with this HOME-var took ages. Then I set $HOME to
"/home/thomas" omitting the trailing slash. That made my compiles as
fast as the others. This is reproducible on my system. I use teTeX 3.0
on  Gentoo (tetex-3.0-r3).

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
Thomas