I got bumped by another "whack-quietly-from-behind" problem with a
tetex system configuration.  This happened with a default
installation of tetex-3.0 on FC4 (more precisely - tetex-3.0-6.FC4
and related packages there).

After an initial installation you can see there
$ texconfig-sys conf | grep updmap.cfg
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

So far so good.  The file exists, is correct and everything works
like expected.

Now I am installing some additional fonts and I run updmap-sys,
without specifying explicitely where is updmap.cfg to use.
Surprise!  After that operation, if I bother to check, I see:

$ texconfig-sys conf | grep updmap.cfg
/usr/share/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

Now, this is not a disaster. Yet!  A new config file does cover what
was in the old one plus new maps.  It may turn out to be a disaster
if some other changes (say, future updates to tetex packages on FC
or something else) will modify /usr/share/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg.
That will be "hidden in a shadow" by whatever happen to be in
/usr/share/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg.

Besides as a principle I dislike very much a situation where
duplicate configuration files show up on a system out-of-blue.  This
is a recipe for confusion and who knows what unintended consequences
will turn out now or later; not mentioning that in the future I may,
for whatever reasons, modify one of those configuration files, it
will turn out that this was a "wrong" one and I will be scratching
my head why things "do not work".

This is most likely a consequence of that that in
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf one can find:

TEXMFSYSCONFIG = /usr/share/texmf-config

You can say that whomever was packaging tetex-3.0 for Fedora should
know better.  But he did not, overlooked, had a bad day, whatever
and things are like they are.  An easy mistake to make.  At least
with 'updmap-sys' one can, if aware of the situtation, work around
the issue with something like that (bash code):

   cnffile="$(texconfig-sys conf | grep updmap.cfg)"
   updmap-sys --cnffile "$(cnffile)" ... <whatever>

but I think that this should really be a default behaviour in order
to avoid surprises like the one described.

I am not sure at this moment what else can get me the same way but
probably anything which can rewrite some .cfg file (outside of 'vi,
of course :-).

   Michal