William John Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> The dvips program defaults to piping its output to a printer. This
> is confusing, and can cost money. The normal form of convert commands,
> like pdf2ps, produce a file as the default output (with a trailing
> hyphen indicating standard out) but dvi2ps is an exception.

I definitely would like such a change, too.  Although you can change
that behavior yourself in ~/.dvipsrc, I think output to a file should
be the default.  IMHO printing should only be done if you request that
explicitly by lpr(1) or by use of the -P option in dvips.  I even
wouldn't mind if dvips couldn't print to printer at all and you would
have to write "dvips | lpr" to get that.  After all, we're on Unix
where one tool does one job well and doesn't try to duplicate the
functionality of another tool.

urs