Hi,

I was using MikTeX and YAP previewer for my tex files in Windows. My editor of
choice was WinEdt. Recently, I switced to Debian/sarge. I was expecting the
same functionality of inverse and forward search in TeTeX. However what I
observed in TeTeX is different in MikTeX.

When I make a forward search in WinEdt, YAP displays the position roughly
corresponding to your current position in YAP. It  points the corresponding line
and puts a circle on the line in the YAP(one line below or above of it at the
worst). Inverse searching in  YAP works almost the same: When you initiate  the
inverse search from the YAP previewer, the editor displays the corresponding
source line in a small margin of error.

In my Debian/Sarge system, I use TeTeX(ver:3.0.13) and Xdvi(ver:22.84.9). When I
initiate a forward search from gvim, Xdvi draws a rectangle around the paragraph
in which the correspoding line in a source file belongs to. So it is a big
margin of error. Inverse search works with the same big margin of error. It
doesn't matter where you click in a paragraph in Xdvi, it always points the
begining of a paragraph in the corresponding source file.

I don't know what is the wrong with these inverse and forward search. I don't
think gvim or Xdvi is a culprit. I tried with different editors(emacs,nedit) and
different dvi viewers(kdvi). I get the same result. Maybe TeTeX doesn't handle
well '--src-specials' with comparision to MikTeX.

I would like to thank all the developers of  the TeTeX.

Ahmet Nurlu