Hi,

with teTeX-3.0nb1 (installed from NetBSD's pkgsrc/print/teTeX)
dvipdfm/dvipdfmx render \textsl as normal (unslanted) text when a custom
font is used. I'm using NetBSD 3.0.

I have seen this with the New Century Schoolbook and Times fonts.

When using plain Computer Modern fonts the slanted text is rendered
correctly.

The custom fonts are also rendered properly in xdvi, dvips and pdflatex.
However I'd prefer to continue using dvipdfmx. I have a work created with
teTeX2 some time ago where it worked, but I haven't rechecked now.

For an example consider this LaTeX file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{newcent}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\begin{document}
afdfljf \textsl{dkeic} decmei
\end{document}

Use these commands:

latex test.tex
dvipdfmx test.tex
xpdf test.pdf

No errors or other unusual things will be printed, but the word in the
middle isn't rendered slanted.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Bye, Chris