>  you are right that this happens for private .mf files.
>  But in the case that I cannot put my .mf files in the
>  system tree as a ordinary user it would be nice to be
>  able to create the .tfm and .pk files in a certain
>  directory (not necessarily the working directory; may
>  be in the usual $VARTEXFONTS directory - it does not
>  really disturb other users, doesn't it).
>  How can I do this?

You can set environment variables to override nearly everything.
  MT_DESTROOT   the "root" of the directory tree, e.g. /some/texmf/fonts,
                but you can even set it to '$VARTEXFONTS'
  MT_PKDESTDIR  destdir for pk fonts, e.g. '/my/pk/$MT_NAMEPART'

Just look at the variables in texmf/web2c/mktexnam.

Examples:
  setenv MT_DESTROOT '$VARTEXFONTS'              # csh, tcsh, ...
  MT_DESTROOT='$VARTEXFONTS'; export MT_DESTROOT # sh, bash, ksh ...

Thomas