Walter Tautz writes:

> judging from the output it appears to modify the modes.mf file? Does
> it uncomment a mode in the modes.mf file? and then rebuild mfbase?

It changes the assignment of localfont, then rebuilds mf.base.

> xdvi display quality is not very good on black/White monitors (i.e
> real b/w monitors WITHOUT colour phosphors). The characters seem to
> partially filled or something.

If you're running on genuine 2-bit deep bitmap hw, then you'll get
severely degraded output.  This is more or less inherent in the form
of the output.  You can turn off the attempt at anti-aliasing (G
keystroke), and play with the density (S keystroke).  I find that a
density of around 25 gives at least readable results.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.