One of my users asks: (is it true? with respect to dvips in tetex?
obviously if he has the source he could use pdflatex or pdftex.

  Subject: dvips and pdf conversion
  Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 16:37:17 -0500

  I want to convert postscript files to pdf files (on a UNIX platform).  I
  gather that some UNIX package, maybe ghostview, contains a utility for
  doing this.
  Alternatively, I could buy Adobe Acrobat and use its distiller.

  I have seen that the first method (and have heard that the second
  method) will produce ugly output (and pdf files that are LARGER than the
  original postscript files) because here at Waterloo our dvips does not
  support AMS Postscript versions of Computer Modern Fonts.  As a result
  (I am told), the postscript files we build with dvips treat each
  character like a little postscript picture, which get compressed and
  lose too much information when passing to the pdf file.

  My questions:
  1.  How can I work around this deficiency in Waterloo's dvips?
  2.  Can't this be fixed system-wide?

  Thanks for any help you can offer.